17 Apr What Photographers Stress About
If you’re a business owner, you know there are many things to stress about. I think that’s par for the course in most careers. Fortunately, I am not one to stress out easily. But there are a couple of things that make me stress out heavily and unfortunately stress for me leads to depression. Not the kind of depression I can’t get out of, or the kind that makes me sink into a hole and hide… but the kind that makes me feel like my spirit is broken and I hang my head low until I can emotionally work my way out of that stress. I start questioning everything I do and wondering – is it me? That happens to us because the Photography world is intensely personal. It’s our artistic expression.
So what is it that causes this kind of stress for photographers? It’s not a 2 hour delayed timeline the day of; it’s not the request of 15 organized large group photos that we have to squeeze in along with wedding party and couple portraits in a 40 minute window; it’s not a late bride; it’s not a disorganized timeline; and it’s not 75 guests standing next to us with their cell phones trying to get pictures along side us. It’s that we put our heart and soul into what we do, and sometimes there are people that we can’t please… and we don’t get do-overs. I can tell myself and my team repeatedly that we can’t please 100% of the clients 100% of the time… but that doesn’t make it any easier when we have worked our tails off to organize the day, choose the best locations, get every single possible photograph that could be desired… we edit and re-edit the work to perfection before delivering it… and still the client finds something to be upset about. The 700 beautiful images aren’t mentioned – but the 50 they dislike are. The countless perfect moments captured aren’t acknowledged, but great Aunt Susie wasn’t photographed even though no one ever told us who she was or that she was important to be photographed… and tears have been shed over the fact that there isn’t a photo of her. There are 75 stunning images of the couple, but there are 4 where they don’t look super flattering and how could we possibly think those were good photos?
These are the things that cause deep stress and heavy hearts. All we ever want is to make our clients beyond happy, to exceed their expectations and give them images that perfectly emulate the beauty of their day; images they will cherish. When we are met with incredible reviews and emails that our clients cried tears of joy looking at their images – it puts us on cloud 9 and we are reminded of why what we do is so important. And 98% of the time those are the responses that we get! The other 2% of the time it’s the polar opposite… and while those odds are greatly in our favor, that 2% feels like 100% when it hits us square in the nose.
My hope with this blog is that photographers out there, and business owners know that you aren’t alone. Although it’s rare, we all get complaints… and they hurt our hearts! It is also my hope that couples out there understand that you are not going to be madly in love with every single image from your wedding – it’s not possible. So try to see all the beauty you received – and know that your photographer did everything they could to get you everything you could have possibly wanted, and they put their most artistic and talented foot forward for you.
For more information on Orange County wedding photography and engagement sessions… or whatever your heart desires – visit www.briannacaster.com